Wednesday, November 5, 2008

520R Journal3

The difference between academic reading and reading for pleasure


In my opinion, academic reading and reading for pleasure are totally different. The purpose of reading for pleasure is to relax yourself, so you can choose any kinds of article as you like. When having a reading for pleasure, people do not care about its length and vocabulary, but more focus on the scenario or content. As long as they enjoy it, they always blend into the story even forget the time and what is happening around him/her.

However, academic reading more focus on education of special area, so it is always written in a formal way, which makes people feel more strict and boring. The vocabulary of academic reading is much more difficult and particular, so when doing some academic reading, a professional dictionary is necessary. Additionally, academic reading is more complicated, it usually research or debate something.

Actually, I like reading for pleasure because it can give me relax and show me around the different world. Every time I read Harry Potter, I would forget all the things in real life, and enter a magic world. I always think the owl from Hogwarts send the letter to the wrong address that I can not enter the magic school. On the other hand, academic reading can also give us pleasure when the content is related to our study background. If we know something about it, we do not feel bored and can also enjoy it.

2 comments:

sinem yildiz said...

Wenwen as you said academic reading and reading for pleasure are totally different. You can relax when you read for pleasure but you really need to focus on when you read an academic article. I like both. I like academic reading if it is concerned with my major.

Eilidh said...

I really enjoyed your comment about the owl not delivering your letter! It shows that you really entered the imaginative world of JK rowling when you read the Harry Potter books, and you allowed your imagination to be filled with the story - sgood job!